Sunday, April 15, 2007

"Rendez-vous" with Laterna Magika

So, this posting is actually a little belated, but I thought I would fill you on what else I was doing besides touring and having fun now that my puppet man is completed!
We'll actually have to go back to March 20th, which is the first day I arrived at Laterna Magika, the other theatre I was working with while in Prague. This was actually the same day I first started work on my puppet guy with Martin - I had to make sure I left in enough time to go home, shower off the wood shavings, and head to the theatre.
I met with Petr Tosovsky, producer and artistic director of the theatre, in the lobby at 7:30. What a wonderful man - he was so friendly, welcoming and accommodating to me right from the very beginning! He took me around for a tour backstage and introduced me to various people (at least those who spoke a little English) before settling in to watch the show.
Before I continue, a bit about Laterna Magika: their shows are all non-verbal, combining dance, projected imagery, pantomime and black light. Their productions are done in repertory, meaning that there is a different show playing each week, with four of them currently in rotation. My timing actually worked out quite well, and I was able to see three of them while in Prague!
This photo I have posted here is a scene shot for "Rendez-vous" (not one I took - no cameras allowed), the show I saw that first evening. It was about the last 15 seconds of the life of a Spanish matador as he is killed by a bull, and includes flashbacks to his life as well as his journey into the afterlife. Some very cool imagery in this one, and they also had two guest-star acrobats - very exciting!

No comments: